about natural soap

Care and use of handmade soap

Handmade vs commercial soap

Have you read the list of ingredients in your everyday commercially made soap?

Most "soaps" have a plethora of synthetic ingredients and will have all the natural glycerine extracted from the soap (which they then onsell).
Glycerine is created during the soapmaking process and is a fantastic emollient and moisturiser (hence why they get a good price for it) and big business can then sell you a lotion to moisturise your skin after using their "soap".

Handmade soap retains all the natural glycerine produced, which gives it a lovely conditioning factor and helps to not dry out your skin.

Commercial soaps often contain artificial surfactants in order to give the soap lots of bubbles and they are usually also heavily perfumed with artificial scents.

Don't be fooled by marketing campaigns. All natural soap is antibacterial and is still the best way to prevent the spread of viruses, germs and bacteria.

Here at Hinds Natural Soap Co, I only use natural oils, butters and lye with botanicals and clays, milk, honey etc. Nothing nasty, nothing synthetic and no fragrance. My soaps may not have pretty designs or frilly tops, but they are 100% good for your skin and good for the earth.

How to look after your soap

Handmade soaps may behave a little differently than commercially made "soap" as they still contain glycerine (which is great for your skin), but means the soap needs to dry out properly between uses.

Glycerine attracts moisture, so to prolong the lifespan of your soap, keep it in a dry place out of the stream of water, and on a well-draining soap dish (preferably not metal as this can react with soap).

If you are not going to be using your soap for a while, it will need to be stored in a cool, dark, dry place. The bathroom is not the best place to store it due to the moisture in the air.

If you have hard water, you may find handmade soap is not quite as bubbly as commercial soap - don't worry, it's still doing its job just fine and will still get you clean!

Natural colours are generally not as permanent as synthetic colours. A soap that has been coloured green with herbal botanicals may start to fade to a beige or brown colour - just like green leaves in nature age brown in Autumn. This is perfectly normal and natural and there is nothing wrong with the soap.

Safety: As with any soap, keep it out of your eyes or it will sting, as soap is a salt. Please read the ingredients first in case of any personal allergens and discontinue using if irritation develops. Soap can be very slippery when wet, so take care getting in and out of your bathing area.

Different types of soap

There are many different types of soap available - from heritage style to modern.

Aleppo - Originating from Aleppo in Syria, this is a famous soap that is made from Olive Oil and Laurel Bay Oil with no scent or colour added.

Bastille - A modern take on Castile soap. Bastille has at least 70% Olive Oil and the other 30% may be any other vegetable oils. This gives a lovely, gentle bar which does not take as long to cure as Castile.

Beldi - Originating from Morocco, this is a soft, gel-type soap that is primarily made from Olive Oil and a paste of Olives.

Castile - True Castile soap is made with 100% Olive Oil only, so make sure you check the ingredient list as many soaps call themselves a castile when they are not. This is another heritage soap originating from the Castile region in Spain. True Castile soaps can take one year to cure.

Felted - Another popular soap that is covered in felted wool for extra exfoliation and a natural antimicrobial effect as well as making the soap easier to hold.

Pine Tar - You may remember hearing about this soap from your Grandmother. This was a very popular, smoky scented soap that was used on man and beast and said to alleviate many skin conditions and irritations.

Salt Bar - Very popular soap bar that is made with actual salt grains and is cleansing, exfoliating, and detoxifying. The bar is hard and produces a lotion-like creamy lather.

Savon de Marseille - One of the most famous heritage soaps in the world. Only made in the Marseille region of France and consisting of 72% Olive Oil and seawater.

Soleseife - This is a heritage German brine soap, which replaces the water in a soap recipe with saltwater and makes a very hard bar that is used in many spas and luxury clinics for its mineral benefits and skin hydration properties.